Student Complaint Procedures

A student who has a complaint that a policy or procedure has been incorrectly or unfairly applied in his/her particular case, or a complaint about the behavior of an Office of Military Services team member, the complaint will be handled as follows:

Informal Resolution: Students are encouraged to speak directly with the staff member most concerned with or responsible for the situation that is the cause of the complaint. If this communication does not lead to a resolution, or such a discussion is not deemed appropriate, the student may register an informal complaint or file a formal written complaint.

Informal Complaint: A student may register an informal complaint within thirty (30) days of the event that triggered the complaint. The earlier the communication is made, however, the more likely it is to resolve the matter satisfactorily.  Informal complaints may be made by telephone or email. Appropriate University staff will review the matter presented by the student and determine whether any action is required. The student will be notified of the University’s response within 20 days of the informal complaint. If the student is not satisfied with the decision and/or attempts at resolution, he/she may go on to make a formal complaint.

Formal Complaint: Students who wish to file an official written complaint must do so by following appropriate procedures as outlined in the “Additional Information and Procedures for Policy 3016” document. Please visit Home Page - SCS (

Grievance Policy for GI Bill Recipients: The Virginia State Approving Agency (SAA), is the approving authority of education and training programs for Virginia. The office investigates complaints of GI Bill beneficiaries. While most complaints should initially follow the school grievance policy, if the situation cannot be resolved at the school, the beneficiary should contact the SAA office via email saa@dvs

GI Bill® School Feedback Tool

If you have an issue or complaint about a school or training facility that’s eligible to receive GI Bill benefits, you can submit feedback to VA.