Veteran Affairs TAP Top-Up
Top-Up is a Veterans Affairs program that allows those qualified to use the GI Bill to supplement the tuition and fees that aren't covered by the Department of Defense's Tuition Assistance program.
You might qualify for the Top-Up program if you:
- Are approved for federal Tuition Assistance.
- Are eligible for Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) Active-Duty benefits.
- Have served at least two full years on active duty.
The Top-Up program is not available to those eligible for the MGIB Selected Reserve program.
The amount you can receive is strictly limited to what it takes to pay for the course. Top-up payments can also affect your MGIB benefits.
To request benefits from the Top-Up program:
- Apply for a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) through the Department of Veteran Affairs website's Education Benefits Application Process.
- Submit your TA Approval forms to Third-Party Billing by the posted deadline.
- Submit a Veterans Registration Reporting Form (VRRF) to Mason. Specify the chapter as "other" and write your branch of service in the comments section, as well as "This is a request for Top-Up."