Study Elsewhere

4-VA Consortium

Mason's 4-VA partners include the University of Virginia, Virginia Tech, Old Dominion University, James Madison University, and Virginia Commonwealth University. The partnership aims to leverage the strengths of each university and improve efficiencies in higher education.

Some students in certain degree fields must take a course at another university if it's something Mason doesn't offer when they need it. Students using VA benefits who take this path must follow a specific process.

Under certain circumstances, Mason students can register for a course through the 4-VA Consortium, a partnership between six Virginia universities.

If you're taking classes outside the consortium partnership, you will need certain permissions to make sure your benefits will pay for the courses. Getting permissions can take a while, so you'll need to allow adequate lead-time to meet all the requirements. And the process can be complex, so you might benefit from a discussion with a counselor in the Registrar's Office.

For those using VA benefits, the School Certifying Official will need to complete a primary school letter for the guest school to certify the course. Once the Study Elsewhere form is approved, you'll need to request a parent school letter before classes start.

There are some forms to fill out to make sure your credits at the other school are transferable to Mason:

This can be a complicated process. For more information, contact Mason's Office of Military Services at 703-993-1316.

Student works with material in front of a microscope in a Mason lab

If you're studying in a very specialized field, you might need to take a course or two at another university.