George Mason University
George Mason University Mason
George Mason University

Undergraduate, Graduate, Non-Degree

Mason's admissions process is the same for military and veterans as it is for everyone else. However, you have a resource that others don't—help and guidance from the Office of Military Services (OMS).

The university requires certain information and application materials from all prospective students. Everyone must pay an application fee and provide a selection of forms and documents such as:

  • High school transcripts
  • Letters of recommendation
  • Transcripts from universities/colleges you've attended
  • Standardized test results.

If you're applying through the Common Application, these items can be uploaded there. If you're applying through the Mason application, documents can be sent electronically or mailed when you apply. Graduate students can also apply online.

A Military Couple Studies Together to Give Back

Henry and Marjorie Thomas on the plaza with fountains at Mason

Veteran Henry Thomas and his wife, Marjorie, are pursuing degrees that will let them give back to other veterans. Henry was wounded in Afghanistan in 2011. He was awarded a Purple Heart and subsequently received a medical retirement. He's completing his undergraduate degree at Mason and plans to enroll in the two-year master’s program in social work offered by the College of Health and Human Services. Marjorie is pursuing a master of public administration degree with the help of an ERPi Patriot Scholarship for Veterans and Dependents of Veterans from the Schar School of Policy and Government.


There are certain deadlines in the admissions process that you need to be aware of as a freshman or transfer student. For example, applying by certain dates makes you eligible for some scholarships. There are also some programs (nursing, dance, some engineering) that require applicants to meet additional qualifications. If you have questions, contact your academic adviser, or check with OMS.

Seeing the Importance of STEM Studies 

Aubrey Whitehead in a lab at Mason

Aubrey Whitehead, a former Air Force officer, left his U.S. State Department job to pursue a PhD in education at Mason and investigate why high school students avoid STEM programs. "Research shows," he said, "students want to learn about science." He chose Mason because of the quality of its faculty. “I looked at a lot of schools,” said Whitehead, who has a master’s degree in human resources development. “It just made sense.”


Applicants to Mason's graduate programs must meet certain criteria, such as holding a degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education, or international equivalent, and meeting certain grade standards. Some programs also require that you pass certain tests to qualify for admission. Be aware of testing and application deadlines.


If you're applying as a non-degree student, please use the Mason application. Note that if you're hoping to use Department of Veterans Affairs benefits to pay for non-degree courses, you'll need to be certified and may get benefits for up to two semesters. If you want to continue your studies after that, you'll need to be admitted to a degree program.

If you have any questions, contact OMS at 703-993-1316 or the Office of Admissions at 703-993-2400.

Schools & Programs