George Mason University
George Mason University Mason
George Mason University

Study Abroad

If you want your VA benefits to help cover the costs of a study-abroad session, it's possible—if you're required to study abroad to complete the program or if the course is part of your degree as a requirement or an approved elective.

Students on staircase in front of giant mural

Dr. Michele Greet, director of Mason's Art History Program, took a group of students studying Mexican Muralism to Mexico City as part of Mason's initiative to embed study abroad into regular classes. The seminar focuses on murals created in Mexico City from about 1920 to the 1950s, with an emphasis on works by Diego Rivera, David Alfaro Siqueiros, and José Clemente Orozco. Because murals are site specific, they must be observed in person.

Department of Veterans Affairs funds are generally limited to the equivalent undergraduate in-state tuition rate for the number of credit hours applicable to the degree program. If studying abroad is required, the VA may also pay the fees. In general, basic allowance for housing (BAH) rates apply based on rate of pursuit.

Examples of programs with study-abroad requirements/options include:

  • Global Affairs MA, which requires a residency abroad, typically about two weeks.
  • History BAconcentration in Global History, which strongly encourages majors to study abroad.
  • Conflict Analysis and Resolution BS and BA, which have a field experience requirement that can be fulfilled by a study-abroad session.
  • Art History BA, in which up to 6 credits of ARTH 398 Study Abroad in the History of Art can be applied to the major.
  • Foreign Languages BA, in which students are highly encouraged to participate in a study-abroad session.

Mason's Office of Global Education maintains a list of all study-abroad opportunities. If you want to use VA benefits for one of these programs, the office will require a benefits worksheet, which will be provided by the Global Education Office.

For more information about payment policies, read the VA Study Abroad fact sheet (PDF). If you have any other questions, contact the Office of Military Services at 703-993-1316.

Schools & Programs