Vet Success Program
Your transition from active duty to college life is made easier with professional assistance from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) staff at GMU with one full-time vocational rehabilitation counselor stationed on-campus.
Mason's VetSuccess Counselor is:
Valerie L. Smith
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
National Capital Region Benefits Office
1722 I (Eye) Street, NW
Washington, DC 20421
VetSuccess counselors provide information, guidance, support, counseling, advising, assistance and referrals for:
- VA benefits
- VA education benefits
- VA medical centers
- disability compensation
- vocational exploration, career goals
- on-campus resources, services
- federal job searches
If you would like to schedule a meeting with our Vet Success Counselor, please contact Valerie Smith via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or 202-530-9154.
About Vet Success On-Campus
The Vet Success On-Campus program is a collaborative effort between George Mason University and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) with the purpose of providing a supportive on-campus environment for student veterans. Services provided will enable student veterans to make a smooth transition to college life and successfully complete their educational programs.
The VA has placed one full-time, experienced Vocational Counselor on the George Mason campus. This counselor will serve as a "one-stop liaison" for veterans, active duty military and their eligible family members who attend or plan to attend GMU.
Your Vet Success On-Campus counselor can assist you with:
- Information on VA educational benefits to include: Montgomery GI Bill® (Chapter 30), Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33), Survivors & Dependents Benefits (Chapter 35), Montgomery GI Bill®; Selected Reserves (Chapter 1606), Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31) and other VA and non-VA educational benefits
- How to apply for and maximize your VA educational benefits should you be eligible for multiple benefits
- Understanding and applying for Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (Chapter 31)
- Vocational exploration and career counseling services
- Job placement assistance and referrals to state employment agencies and services
- Information on applying for other VA benefits to include disability compensation, Life Insurance and Home Loan Guarantees
- Assistance with electing healthcare benefits through the Veterans Health Administration
- Information and referrals for VA medical and mental health services
- Referrals to on-campus, community and VA resources to ensure academic success
- Understanding your tuition, fees and BAH (if applicable)
Contact your GMU’s Vet Success Counselor for your one stop experience today!