George Mason University Office of Military Services

Chapter 33: Post 9-11 GI Bill

You may qualify for these benefits if you:

  • Entered active duty on or after September 10, 2001.
  • Served at least 90 aggregate days of active duty
  • You may also be eligible if you were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and your served 30 continuous days

Benefit Guidelines

Based on your length of active duty service, you are entitled to a percentage of the following:

Individuals serving an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of: Percentage of Maximum Benefit Payable
At least 36 months 100
At least 30 continuous days and discharged due to service connected disability 100
At least 30 months < 36 months 90
At least 24 months < 30 months 80
At least 18 months < 24 months 70
At least 12 months < 18 months 60
At least 6 months < 12 months 50
At least 90 days < 6 months 40
  • Cost of tuition and fees, not to exceed the most expensive in-state undergraduate tuition at a public institution of higher education (paid to school);
  • Monthly housing allowance* equal to the basic allowance for housing payable to a military E-5 with dependents, in the same zip code as your school (paid to you);
  • Yearly books and supplies stipend of up to $1000 per year (paid to you)

Note: the housing allowance and books and supplies stipend are not payable to individuals on active duty. The housing allowance is not payable to those pursuing training at half time or less or to individuals enrolled in distance learning.

Chapter 33 benefits do not affect your eligibility for federal subsidized loans. However, these benefits are included as income when your eligibility for campus-based aid (work-study, Federal Perkins, and matching grants) is determined.

Benefits, generally, must be used within 15 years; however, the time limit may be shorter or longer in rare circumstances.

Note: spouses of active-duty military members are not eligible for the Yellow Ribbon program when a benefit has been transferred to them.

Documentation Required for Chapter 33

To receive education benefits, you must have a Certificate of Eligibilty (COE). A COE can be obtained by going to the Department of Veteran Affairs website and applying for your federal GI Bill® education benefits utilizing their Veteran On-line Application (VONAPP).

Please submit completed forms or document copies to either the Department of Veteran Affairs or the Registrars Office, according to your circumstances.

If you have never applied for benefits, submit:

  1. An Application for VA Benefits (22-1990) through VONAPP
    • For Dependents who had benefits transferred use VA- 22-1990 € through VONAPP
  2. A Certificate of Eligibility to the Office of Military Services
  3. A Veterans Registration Reporting Form to the Registrars Office

If you have had a one-year break in attendance at the University, or if you used your benefit at another institution, submit:

  1. A Change of Program or Place of Training (22-1995) through VONAPP
  2. A Certificate of Eligibility to the Office of Military Services
  3. A Veterans Registration Reporting Form to the Registrars Office

If you received your benefit at George Mason University within the last year, submit:

  1. AVeterans Registration Reporting Form to the Registrars Office