George Mason University Office of Military Services

Admission to George Mason University: An Introduction for Military Veterans

Mason welcomes all applications for admission from current or veteran service members and hope to assist you in applying for undergraduate or graduate admission to the university.

Below you will find a list of frequently asked questions about applying to the university as a veteran. Additional resources, including information on student veterans’ orientation and veterans’ education benefits, can be found on the Military Services Web site.

Frequently Asked Questions for Veterans

Am I a freshman?

You are considered a freshman if you are still a high school student or if you have not enrolled in any college courses after graduating from high school. Click here to learn more about applying for admission as a freshman.

Am I a transfer student?

You are considered a transfer student if you have previously enrolled in any course for college credit after graduating from high school. If you are a high school student and are enrolled in an International Baccalaureate (IB) Program or have earned AP credit, you are still considered a freshman. Click here to learn about applying for admission as a transfer student.

If you are unsure as to whether you are a freshman or transfer student, please contact the Office of Admissions at 703-993-2400 or email us at

Do I need to take the ACT or SAT?

If you are a freshman, you will need to submit an ACT or SAT test score and a final high school transcript (or GED test score). For those applicants who have been out of school for more than five years, George Mason University waives the ACT or SAT requirement.

How do I apply for admission?

You may apply for admission online or request a paper application and submit it to the Office of Admissions in person or by mail.

Do you accept military credit?

Coursework from the Air University, the Defense Language Institute, the United States Naval Academy, the United States Military Academy, the United States Air Force Academy and the United States Coast Guard Academy will be considered for transfer if a comparable course is offered at Mason.

Military Science or ROTC credit earned at other regionally accredited colleges and universities may be considered for transfer into the Department of Military Science.

Other credit earned for training or military service (as documented on an official ACE transcript) may be considered for transfer into the Bachelor of Individualized Study (BIS) program and is subject to the Credit for Nontraditional Modes of Learning policy within BIS. If an enrolled BIS student decides to change majors, nontraditional transfer credit will not apply toward any other major.

Do you accept CLEP exams?

The university awards credit for select CLEP exams. Click here to learn more about CLEP examinations.

Where can I find additional resources on being a veteran student at George Mason?

The Office of Military Services offers extensive resources and services for prospective and current students related to veterans education benefits and benefit programs for military members, veterans, and their families.

Who can I contact with questions?

If you have questions about applying for admission, contact the Office of Admissions at 703-993-2400 or email

If you have questions about veterans benefits or resources, or would like to schedule an individual consultation, contact the Office of Military Services at 703-993-1316 or email